Sunday, September 17, 2006

Tuesday--May 16, 2006

Tuesday May 16th

We had booked an early flight Israel time so as to get into NY around 5pm--making it a bit easier to transition back to work on the 17th. It was smooth sailing on the highway going to the airport at around 5am, but the new and very beautiful Lod terminals are a bit confusing when first approaching them off the highway, especially if you are returning a rental car. The rental returns are near the old terminals, while passenger drop-off is obviously at the new buildings. Allow for some extra time if you happen to be returning a car. Also, if you bought goodies and paid the VAT at the "official" stores, and got the correct form, then you need to make sure your gifts are packed in one easily accessible bag. You have to go to the VAT counter and they inspect what you bought vs the various forms you hand in. You need to do this prior to checking your baggage, and since there is usually only one clerk checking the forms, plan on a delay. Your refund usually comes a few months later, either via check or credit back to your credit card. (That reminds me, I need to check to see if our refunds ever hit.) After leaving the VAT counter, you will take your bags to the line in front of your carrier and begin the security check-in process. This Q&A process is an essential part of the passenger scrutiny that every carrier, but especially El Al, puts its passengers through; you really do feel safer when it is finished, unlike the rather haphazard practices employed in US ports of debarkation. When you finally get checked in, take some time (you should have plenty of it) to browse through the new duy-free shopping area. It is one of the nicer such shopping areas that I've run across in vaious international airports that I have transited through.
Leaving Israel has always been difficult for me--even before burying Pam there. I always feel such a sense of sadness when departing, as I am so comfortable being there with my extended loving family and friends. I do miss the family very much when we are not together! I truly love the country, feel so at home, and as you've seen from my blogging, am enthralled by so much of the geography, history, places of interest and restaurants. Then there is the obvious pull of being so close to Pam and being able to visit her grave so easily. This trip has been all too short, but it was very satisfying to have weathered all the experiences so well and to have come out of it closer to Rae-ann. I think we are a stronger couple now than we were before the trip began. We surrmounted a lot of difficult hurdles before and during this trip-both individually and as a couple-- and were able to mix our tears and the laughter together to help strenghten the foundation that supports our relationship. I'm very lucky to have found another who is strong enough to support me along the winding path that I travel upon, and who, at the same time, is sensitive and loving in her dealings with me and my extended family. Thank you Rae-ann for being you!
Until our next trip.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home